Saturday, August 19, 2006

1st Week of Work (warning, long post)

Well, I made it though my first week of training at my new job. While I wasn't a big fan of getting up to be at work at 6:35 (my normal work hours will be 9-6) to catch a bus to the main corprate office and not getting back to my normal work area until after 6pm every day, I learned a lot in the week of classes. The classes weren't the most exciting thing ever, but they did provide a lot of info. (Though, I have to study this weekend since I'm being tested monday on what was taught all week.

Next week will be much better, I train from 8-5 in my office. (ya, sleeping in!) I will get to find out what group I'll be working with, and will be trained on the systems that I will actually work with and not just general info.. Plus, we won't have to ride the bus for an hour each way to go to training. And, my office is supposed to be a lot more relaxed and laid back than the corporate offices are downtown. Though the company seems really good. Yes, I know that this week all the info on them was "company approved." But, part of the company mind-set is that if the employees are happy, they will do better at work so keeping the employees happy helps the co make more moeny. It showed in many small ways like free coffee in the break rooms (and a hot water spout for hot tea !!!! ya, I don't have to bring in something to heat up water... they remember that some of us don't do coffee but do tea), and in some of the bigger ways like low turnover rate and a good benfits package.

I was really upset with the timing of this week's training. My high school's best friend's (Esther) father passed away last week. I really wanted to be there for her and to be able to attend the memorial service. However, if I went to VA this week to go to the services, I would lose my job (the training was manditory and there was no way they would let me off). I spent months looking for one, and this was one of the better ones in the area. I know that her father wouldn't have wanted me to quit my job just to be there at the service. I feel guilty for putting my job first, but I know that I had to do it and it was what he would have wanted. It's still hard to think about him not being around. He was such a wonderful man. He bought such love and happyness everywhere he went. I
used to call this man dad while I was in HS. Yes, over the past few years Esther and I have grown apart due to living in differnt areas and the demands on our lives. But, I still consider her a close friend. And, her father's passing really effected me. Somehow sending cards just didn't seem like enough. I'm still trying to figure out what else I can do for her and her whole family.

. . .

Now, I have to move onto something less emotional before I completely lose it. Not much news on the knitting front. (Not as much time for knitting when working all day. ) However, I used that bus time to work on socks. I got the first of the wonderful Regia silk socks done for matt... Blogger isn't letting me inport his flickr immage so you will have to go and check it out here. He was so happy when he tired on teh first sock, that he took a picture and uploaded it to his flickr account. Matt was so nice and bought me the sensational knitted socks book. Which was perfect timeing since I just got my knit picks order in with serval pairs of size 0 needles so now I have new patterns and new needles. I'm tring to decided what stitch pattern to do first.

I not only knit durring the bus ride but also durring the lunch breaks at work this week. (We ususally had over an hour break so .... ) Most of the poeple were very intrested in what I was doing. However, one person said, "Oh, it's just like those old-ladies and thier sewing bags." Now, from the tone she said it in, it sounded like she ment it nicely. However, telling a 25 year old that she's acting like an old lady just doesn't seem nice to me. I didn't know how to react. She ment in nicely, but it wasn't. And, this was the first time i had ever had any form of negative comment. I just let it pass off. Mainly becuase I think she ment it nicely.

Oh, I also discovered Chai tea this week. I had never tired it before becuase I didn't know what it was, and I wnated to know before I ordered it. Well, one of the girls had some that she wante to try and brough enough in for everyone to try. Yummy ! Why hadn't anyone told me that it's like a spice tea latte !


If you made it this far and have read all of this, I am impressed. I don't know if I could have done it. I should end this before it gets any longer.

1 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I have been knitting since I was 18 (now almost 38) and I used to get comments like that all the time in college!

"Are you practicing to be a Grandma?".

Don't let it get to you......Good luck next week and I know your friend understands that life gets in the way of being at the funeral. YOu are there in spirit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home